Thursday 20 November 2014

Just keep swimming

Even as a child in 3rd grade, I could relate to Groucho Marx. Like the famous comedian, I, too, had no interest in belonging to any club that would have me as a member. So, when I was presented the opportunity to step into the children's 4 feet pool for the first time with my cousins I insisted to jump into the adult pool from the diving board. And I did. Of course I jumped almost on my uncle's head who, by the way, is an accomplished swimmer.

Since learning swimming that season I've swam just about every summer, and mostly by my own - away from trainers and hordes. I learned early on that water is your friend and you don't have to fight with it. Just get the hang of it and it'll help you move. While my cousins struggled with swimming faster, panting after every lap, I spent most of the swimming hour exploring deep corners of the pool underwater. Moving underwater is much more graceful and requires only a small fraction of the half in - half out posture. And once you get that, the pool feels like home and you can relish the play in spite of kicking more than footballers, flipping more than dancers and sweating more than runners.

To limit swimming to a sport would be seeing the world in one colour. It's a lifestyle and water is a whole different realm where you do whatever you like, individually, or with people. And it's surely more fun than walking in clothes. In fact floating in water is the closest humans get to flying. Now we have in-water theatres, sports clubs, restaurants and what not. And if you're at a beach, you're just a snorkel away from incredible aquatic life.

Of course knowing basic strokes helps - just like you've to be comfortable with reading to dwell well on the web. I've found watching instructional videos, observing experts swim and swimming slowly for long stretches to be immensely helpful in this regard and in increasing order - i.e. slow swimming helps the most. The advantage with slow swimming is that you can observe yourself, understand and correct your stroke & breathing, and your body can acclimatise with the stroke minimising water resistance. That's how water helps - by filling in. Don't be surprised when you find yourself going faster due to the grace developed with slow swimming. Once the head - torso - legs coordination is reached you'll find yourself a milestone closer to competent swimming but I'll get to that later. One important thing I understood quite late is that it's crucial to mind the head while swimming and this is often overlooked. Since the head comes foremost in the body-water contour it shouldn't jut out for looking or breathing, it's to be rolled or raised with the torso so that it doesn't impede your efforts towards streamlined flow. You might want to read this post for more detail on this.

Effortless swimming
It could be my tough luck with competitive swimming back then that got me into effortless swimming but over time it has helped me win. It basically means stress free swimming but it's called like that. The key is to breathe well while you swim, keep track - be mindful of the water, your body rhythm and ensure you're enjoying the swim which means reduce your speed when you're stressed. While practicing effortless swimming techniques I hit the most relaxing swimming experience ever which I call the spaceboat. It needs a kickboard and a sparsely populated pool - a private or a hotel pool should do it. All you need to do is shove the kickboard under your waist, throw back your hands, legs and head on the water surface, close your eyes and breathe easy. You can also look deep into the sky and feel the bliss. This gravity defying effortless spaceboat will be an out of body experience. You can thank me later.

the spaceboat
Even otherwise, effortless swimming can be a stress free, smooth and playful exercise which produces lean, toned muscles. Plus experiencing additional degrees of freedom with more control will let you explore numerous intuitive tricks while swimming.

Apart from pools, I also go to nearby lakes for long swims. To this day I feel the pit in my stomach seeing the darkness below, having no clue how deep the water is, or if there are are crocs or other animals lurking in the muddy ecosystem. And of course all lakes have had people die while swimming in them so I keep my eyes open extra wide. Sometimes I dare to go deeper to see how it's like but swarms of fishes rush out as I sink a few feet and I always rush my way back up. Nevertheless, and all this notwithstanding, the thrill is worth it and moreover the water is soft with no chlorine, there are no walls or lanes, and best of all there is no crowd to meddle with the experience or whatever you wanna do. I've at times found beautiful fishes and have observed the shoals from surface. And of course I have several underwater videos some of which I'll post sometime soon. Another thing is you can do all the diving you want after proofing a spot for depth and rocks. Almost every lake has plenty of cliffs at different heights which can be used as diving spots. The only precautions you should take while considering a lake outing are:
1. Check with locals if there are any predators or concerns with water or the place.
2. Have company of a couple of friends, just in case you need help with anything.

Then, whenever there's a beach vacation or something I spend as much time in the water as possible. I generally go slow swimming kilometres far into the sea. More often than not the water is rocking and opaque, and salty of course. So there's no vision of what's inside - after all the Jaws and Moby Dicks I've watched - or how deep the water is. And I must keep up to the surface to stay out of the undercurrent. What I'm suggesting is that the thrill deep sea swimming brings every moment is worth being made into so many films. Okay, I always keep looking back and make sure the shore is in sight so I don't lose direction.

Swimming, or water borne games and activities make for the best times with people too. Clearly, the fact that all elite parties have a pool side, all posh societies have pools and that almost everyone who stays the night at a hotel hits the pool reflect our affinity for water. Whether they know how to swim or not, everyone enjoys splashing in water. There are scores of games that make pools the perfect playgrounds but I'm fond of water polo in particular. To my knowledge it's an extremely strenuous game and one I love to both watch and play. Basic skills needed are if you can swim, swim with head up, tread water for a long time and be aggressive as well as calm while playing - a lot if you ask me.

Still it's one helluva game to follow, although not so recognised. I'm a fan of Hungary's water polo team and Zoltan Szecsi in particular. You should watch this video to see how it is and what's awesome about Zoltan.
Hun 8-7 MNE

Effortless swimming and friendship with water helps a lot with waterpolo. If you're a fellow beginner in waterpolo - here are a couple of easy steps.
1. Build stamina. Swim long distances in spurts of fast and slow.
2. Perfect the egg beater treading technique and swimming with head up.
3. Ball holding and throw techniques, game dynamics can be learnt on the fly.
And you're good to go!

Strokes
Now, about strokes. Here is what I'd tell a beginner - short and crisp comments on each stroke. Before moving to strokes, however, make sure you've perfected the float. You must get you body conditioned to be horizontal in water and stay like that. Begin with strokes only then, it takes about 10 hours in water for the body to get the hang of it.
1. Free Style - Breathing is the key. Roll the head to breathe. Take it slow.
2. Breast Stroke - Master the glide. 
3. Back Stroke - Tilt your neck so you can watch. Kick in rhythm.
4. Butterfly Stroke - Watch the head. And the hip. Take it slow. 

You should devote a lot of time to floating and kicking (practice with a pad) as it helps build the head - torso - legs coordination needed in all strokes. There is plenty of video content on the web to help you with technique and I'd particularly suggest Jimmy D Shea's lessons from which I learnt the butterfly stroke. Once you think you've got the strokes right - start with long slow rounds, like marathons. Trust me, they come through and if not it's a feedback that something is wrong with the way you're moving. Keep trying though - you'll get it anyway. After you're confident with the long drills, start changing the stroke after every lap.

Diving
Should be easy - just two things:
1. Mind the head - shouldn't be jutting out, and enter the water at 45 degrees.
2. Be mindful. Imagine the hole you bore in the water surface as you enter and make it smaller every time.

Competitive Swimming
Once you perfect the strokes and can swim mindfully, you might want to compete. Competing is quite different from swimming as such and goes on more in the mind than with your body or skill. And it comes with considerable stress, the push to get better everyday, and ensuring consistency with sleeping, nutrition, exercise and temperament. You'd probably benefit from reading autobiographies of international swimmers and these quotes. Rest - get the best trainer in town and keep going. Never stop.

Here's a video shot after a 4 hour long swim. Will post more soon.









No comments:

Post a Comment