Tuesday 18 November 2014

Long Distance Running


Running connects me to life. And I'm not talking about running like exercising - like on a treadmill or a jog with friends or a quick run in the park or any of that. I mean core Forrest Gump running. When you don't know when you'll stop.

I first experienced running when I started my lone night runs to dodge the dying desire to finish things. Ever since I started my day job I found myself losing interest in goals somewhere along the way for most things, together with anxiety, and so one cold night I went for a jog. I'm not sure if it was the night, or my loneliness or the running but after forty minutes or so it turned out to be magical - just like realising I could float. The jog eased into a four hour run in a nearby stadium; I realised my brain was getting a kick out of it. As a matter of fact I struck the coolest idea ever that very night which I'll probably write about sometime as well.

I think running is an evolutionary and psychological need. And like a metaphor for life itself. Our ancestors spent a lot of life running. They ran more than they walked and then wandered across long distances in search of food, shelter and mate. Sharks swim great lengths just like that. In fact all animals apart from us either run or rest, and yeah - sometimes walk and do other stuff. But see my point? Running is hardcoded and heals like nothing.

But that's not all. I wanted to articulate my deep thoughts about why I run in this post but voila! the creative genius Matthew Inman from The Oatmeal has drawn it better than I ever can and that's exactly how I feel. So I strongly recommend you to read this Oatmeal post (in full). There's also a short and sweet post by Abby Rosmarin if you like.

Afterwards I went on to run marathons, cross country runs and just run whenever I felt like. I actually won a couple of short distance runs that made me proud but anyway, that just happened.


One of the first long races I ran
Off late a lot of races have sprouted up in the country and organised efforts keep coming. I try to go as frequently I can to feel the rhythm of running with so many people.


A recent X Warrior race (kind of a short endurance race)
I will run a couple of more marathons and then go to the famous Kalmar Trithalon in a couple of years if all goes well. I think it'll be fun.

Thanks to Matthew for the difficult part, I'll still contribute my two cents with elementary advice for those up for running their first long distance race.

1. Preparation: You'll run exactly how you prepare. Keep running at whatever speed (don't stop). Don't let the remaining distance or the finish distract you, think of the moment - if you're good and running at the moment, all is well. Be mindful every moment - listen to your body and slow down when it tells you to. For races the right speed should be the maximum speed at which you can breathe uniformly; For effortless runs the right speed is the one at which you can think deeply without stress. Here are a few apps to help you with routine.
2. Eat light, be hydrated - keep a sipper handy and wear whatever you think would be most comfortable over the running duration.
3. Relax a lot between runs and reward yourself with a massage or any pleasurable activity after the race. Expect a hit of awesomeness.

Will keep you posted on my running. Awaiting your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment